- The Relay
- Important Points to Note
- Course Notes
- Changeover Points and Registration Times
- Car Parking Arrangements
- Prize List
50 miles around Calderdale, climbing 12,000 feet from Clay House Park, West Vale, near Halifax. The race comprises 6 stages each with changeover points at road crossings, each stage must be run by two men / women runners in pairs who must stay together at all times. Teams must provide their own transport and support vehicles.
The route is not flagged and there are a minimum of marshals out on the course. Teams are expected to know the route prior to race day. It is advisable that teams obtain the Calderdale Way booklet. Maps required: OS Explorer 1:25,000 series OL21 South Pennines and 288 Bradford & Huddersfield, or OS Landranger 1:50,000 series 103 & 104.
Important Points to Note
- First leg runners must register the team by handing in the completed team list, and collect the baton before 07:45 from West Vale car park, Stainland Road (B6112), nr Halifax, GR 097213
- The race will start and finish in Clay House Park, close to the above car park.
- At the start of leg 1 runners head off north into North Dean Woods. The finish of leg 6 has runners coming south along Stainland Road, under the railway bridge, then taking the track on the right up to Clay House.
- The race headquarters is at Mytholmroyd Community Centre, nr Halifax (GR 011260) where hot meal and drinks are available all day. The bar is also open from lunchtime. However, teams should not be register here, but at the start of leg 1 (see note a.)
- The start will be at 08:00 prompt.
- Please register in good time to avoid congestion. Team running numbers, which must be worn by all team members, will be issued at the start of each leg on the day. The numbers can be exchanged for a meal at race headquarters.
- All teams must register at each staging point along the route. Each pair of runners will be issued with a numbered plastic tally along with their race numbers. PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE TALLY IS HANDED TO THE RACE MARSHAL AT THE END OF EACH LEG. FAILURE TO DO THIS WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
- Team members should be ready for bad weather. Full body cover is mandatory and random checks will be made at the start and finish of each leg. All runners must carry cagoule, over-trousers, hat, gloves, relevant maps, compass and whistle. If any runner is found not to be in possession of any of the above items, THEIR ENTIRE TEAM WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
- Each pair of runners must stay together at all times.
- Club colours must be worn by all team members. Any runner not wearing club colours will get a 5 mins time penalty for their team.
- About 100m from the end of each leg there will be a collection point. Runners will only be allowed to pass when both members of a team are together.
- Minimum age for runners is 18 on the day of the race, with the exception of Leg 3 for which the minimum age is 16.
- If any runner withdraws or retired from the race, notify race control as soon as possible on the emergency number which can be found on the competitor’s number.
- Runners are reminded to take care at road crossings, particularly at Ripponden on Leg 1, Rochdale Road Todmorden on Leg 2, Burnley Road Todmorden on Leg 3, Leeds Road after Norwood Green on Leg 6, and Bridghouse Road (twice) on Leg 6. Also great care must be taken when crossing the railway line near Todmorden on Leg 2.
- In the event of adverse weather you will be informed by telephone by 6pm on Saturday 13th December, and the race will be run at a later date.
- Showers (at a small cost) and changing facilities are available at race headquarters (Mytholmroyd Community Centre).
- Presentation of prizes at Mytholmroyd Community Centre will take place at approximately 16:30.
- Toilet facilities will be available at the start, Cragg Vale, Blackshaw Head, Wainstalls and Shelf. Do not use adjacent fields under any circumstances. When changing your clothes please remember you are in public places so cover yourselves up!
- On the Stoodley Pike section of Leg 2, runners must leave the Calderdale Way at Withens Gate to visit Stoodley Pike, returning to the Calderdale Way at Mankinholes. They will be given an additional tally to be handed to the marshal at Withens Gate. No tally will mean disqualification. Shout out your team number to the marshal at Stoodley Pike before descending to Mankinholes. Teams found deviating from the route will be heavily penalised.
- On going through the riding stables (Leg 2), you must WALK through. A marshal will be here taking numbers and any team seen running through here will be given a 5 minute time penalty. You have been warned!
- At Centre Vale Park, Todmorden (end of Leg 2) the changeover point will be near the leisure centre as last year.
- At Blackshaw Head (end of Leg 3) on reaching the road at Hippins Bridge do not follow the Calderdale Way route. Instead turn left up the road to Blackshaw Head and at the junction turn right and follow the tape to the changeover point by the bus stop.
- Above Jerusalem Farm (near end of Leg 4) you may use the gap in the wall, by-passing the farm leading down to the river at GR 034279.
- At the Shelf changeover (Leg 5-6), there will be no baton change for the last leg. Incoming runners will finish at the roadside barrier on the main road. Leg 6 runners will be started by a marshal in Bridle Stile Lane on the opposite side of the main road. After approx 1 km, Leg 6 runners must use the stile on the left of the lane and not enter the farm yard.
- On Leg 6, from Southowram, go down West Lane and Change Lane as normal, but do not follow the signpost for the Calderdale Way halfway down Change Lane (which goes left through the fields at Exley) but keep on the road all the way down past the school on your left to the road junction. Turn left at the junction into Backhold Lane, then first right down Exley Bank (steep cobbled road) to the main road. Keep right and take care when crossing the side road on your right (Jubilee Road). Then after 50 yards go through a gap in the wall to your right and turn sharp left to pass through a tunnel under the road and proceed along the canal bank, to the the lock basin, keeping the canal on your right. At the canal lock basin, leave the canal through a gap/gate in the wall on your left, and proceed right on the pavement down Stainland Road, under the bridge. Approx 100 yards after the bridge take the track off to the right, and the finish is approx 50 yards up the track nr. Clay House. It will be well marked out on the day.
Changeover Points and Registration Times
|Leg||Start||Grid Ref||Length||Registration||Cut off start times|
|1||Clay House Park, West Vale||SE 097214||9.80 miles||07:00 to 07:45||(Race starts 08:00)|
|2||Cragg Vale (Hinchliffe Arms)||SD 999233||8.46 miles||08:00 to 09:00||09:45|
|3||Todmorden (Centre Vale Park)||SD 929249||4.80 miles||09:00 to 10:30||11:00|
|4||Blackshaw Head||SD 957275||9.36 miles||10:00 to 11:30||12:00|
|5||Wainstalls Road||SE 039287||7.55 miles||11:00 to 12:30||13:00|
|6||Shelf (Bridle Stile Road)||SE 122283||10.0 miles||12:00 to 13:30||14:00|
|Finish||Clay House Park, West Vale||SE 097214|
Car Parking Arrangements
We need everyone’s cooperation and good sense. Please do not obstruct driveways of local residents and please be courteous. Keep noise down especially early in the morning.
Throughout the day at Mytholmroyd Community Centre, near Halifax (GR 011260) there are plenty of spaces available in the car park.
The start and finish is in Clay House Park, West Vale, nr. Halifax (GR 097214), just off the B6112 Stainland Road. There is a small car park nearby where Registration will take place and plenty of street parking too. Marshalls will be around giving directions.
Because of heavy congestion in past races, the following rules will be applied:-
Leg 2: At the Hinchliffe Arms, no cars may go down the minor road to the actual changeover point. Park on the main road, away from the bends.
Leg 3: Parking is available at the Leisure Centre at Centre Vale and in the lower car park. Please follow signs and any directions given by marshals.
Leg 4: At Blackshaw Head park on one side of the road only. There is adequate parking on the road to Jack Bridge. Please follow directions from Marshals.
Leg 5: At Wainstalls please park on one side of the road only to the changeover point. If parking in the village, please park on one side of the road. Do not obstruct driveways of local residents. This is a bus route – cars may be towed away by the police if you fail to obey this instruction. Please ensure that runners collect their numbers at registration opposite the bus turning circle before proceeding to the changeover point. Allow adequate time to jog along to the changeover point. We may have a farmers field to park in on the day but please follow marshals instructions.
|1st team||12 x £10 Pete Bland vouchers + Trophy|
|1st ladies team||12 x £10 Pete Bland vouchers + Trophy|
|1st mixed team||12 x £10 Pete Bland vouchers + Trophy|
|1st vets team||12 x £10 Pete Bland vouchers + Trophy|
A mixed team must have a minimum of 6 ladies to qualify for the mixed team prizes.
The relay is about team spirit and we do not give an extensive prize list, but each runner does get a hot meal and a commemorative memento of the event.
For further information contact event organisers Halifax Harriers: www.halifaxharriers.co.uk